Stephen Ministers—Lay caregivers trained in the congregation by Stephen Leaders. Learn more about Stephen Ministers.
Stephen Ministers are congregation members trained by Stephen Leaders to offer high-quality, one-to-one Christian care to people going through tough times. A Stephen Minister usually provides care to one person at a time, meeting with that person once a week for about an hour. Twice a month, Stephen Ministers gather with their Stephen Leaders for supervision and continuing education.
- What Is a Stephen Minister?—Stephen Ministers describe how much they grow from serving in this ministry.
- Stephen Minister Training—A Christ-centered experience that equips participants with essential caring and relating skills. Participants will learn how to listen to, care for, and walk with those going through difficult times in life.
WHAT IS A STEPHEN MINISTER?
Stephen Ministers come from all walks of life. Their commonality? A passion for bringing Christ’s love and care to people during a time of need.
Since 1975, more than 600,000 people from more than 13,000 congregations and other organizations have been trained as Stephen Ministers.
Training to Become a Stephen Minister
Stephen Ministers are trained by their congregation’s Stephen Leaders. The training they receive in the congregation equips them to provide high-quality care to people who are hurting.
Stories about What Stephen Ministers Do
A Stephen Minister begins a caring relationship when he or she is matched with a person experiencing a life crisis. The Stephen Minister then meets with that person on a weekly basis to listen, care, encourage, and provide emotional and spiritual support. The caring relationship lasts as long as the person is in need of care.
Read the following quotes, stories, and articles (in PDF format) to learn more about what Stephen Ministers do.
“Stephen Ministers: The After People”
- “Real Men, Real Ministry, Real Difference”—A man shares his story of discipleship, ministry, and unexpected transformation through becoming a Stephen Minister and witnessing God at work in his caring relationships.
- “Earth Angels: Stephen Ministers Offer Emotional and Spiritual Support in Times of Trouble”—A newspaper article that tells how Stephen Ministry benefits both the care receiver and the Stephen Minister.
- “Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant”—A moving story by a Stephen Minister about his first caring relationship.
- “Stephen Ministry Matches Super Bowl Experience”—A former NFL coach finds a new calling: as a Stephen Minister.
- “Stephen Ministers: The After People”—A concise, poignant description of what a Stephen Minister is.
- “The Blessings of Serving as a Stephen Minister”—For more than 600,000 Christian men and women, being a Stephen Minister has blessed them in ways they could not anticipate. Read what Stephen Ministers have to say about serving in this ministry.
A Life-Changing Experience for the Care Receiver
Stephen Ministers have cared for over one-and-a-half million people in one-to-one caring relationships—and they have touched countless more with compassionate understanding and encouragement.
- Watch video storiesof people describing the life-changing care they received from a Stephen Minister.
Might God Be Calling You?
If you sense that God might be calling you to serve as a Stephen Minister, the first step is to find out more about getting involved.
- If your congregation already has Stephen Ministry,talk with one of your Stephen Leaders.
- If your congregation does not yet have Stephen Ministry,explore the process of beginning Stephen Ministry in your congregation.